Times are changing, and nothing demonstrates this more than today’s workplace perks. In the past companies retained top talent with great pay, plenty of overtime, and the possibility of advancement. In the new technological era employees still want great pay, health coverage, vacation time, and pensions, but they are also looking for something more, something different. Today’s job seekers want benefits that improve their personal lives, the community, and their working environment. Recent studies have shown that about 75% of employees would prefer improved perks and benefits over pay raises. The big question is what perks can a company offer and what are job seekers wanting from their next employer?
1. One of the most popular workplace perks today is flexible hours. Many companies don’t bother counting hours they want employees that get the work done. Whether it takes 10 hours or 20 hours a week doesn’t matter, the company is only concerned with results. This benefit might include setting your own hours, if you work better in the afternoon or evening, then that’s when you work. As long as the work gets done, employees come and go as they please.
2. Employers have come to realize that healthy employees are happier and more likely to stay at a job that invests in their employees. Good medical insurance is a standard benefit at most jobs, but some companies are going far beyond this. Jobs that provide in-house medical clinics, physical therapists, massage therapists, and chiropractors are more likely to attract and keep the most talented workers.
3. Some companies take the health of their employees very seriously and provide meals and snacks prepared by professional chefs. These healthier meals cater for different diets such as vegan, diabetic, and many others. Other popular perks that are in demand in today’s workplace are salad bars, healthy snacks, and drinks. Other health benefits by include in-house yoga classes, life coaches, sit-stand desks, and treadmill desks.
4. Recently companies have begun giving more paid vacation time, as well as sick leave, and unquestioned family time off. Some employers will help pay for travel, provide complimentary lodging, and event tickets. There are all kinds of great perks that fall under this category.
5. If you want to inspire employees with fresh minds and better focus, a game room or relaxation lounge is one of the most popular modern perks. This gives employees the opportunity to step away from work, and unwind or de-stress by playing something like foosball, and interacting with co-workers. The employee will then return to work refreshed and be able to accomplish more than they would have without this relaxation time.
When it comes to employment benefits, modern employers need to think outside the box. Employees still want better salaries, medical coverage, and retirement plans, but they also need to enjoy their job. It is more likely that employees who are under pressure, stressed, and overworked will leave for a job that makes them happier. The cost of providing these new perks is worth the investment because the company will benefit by attracting and keeping the best talent in their industry.
This is a guest post by Johny of Game Table Hero, a site focused on a love of playing game tables. Check it out for reviews, game rules, playing tips, and new games you may not have played or even heard of before.